Subject: Re: [Leica] Ultra-wide on an SLR
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2001 06:49:04 -0700

Dan wrote:
>>> How does the 15 heliar compare?  And have you tried the Cosine 12 mm
yet?  <<<

Hi Dan,
The only comparison I've seen is between my Leica R 15 and my Cosina15 on
the M. Even then I haven't done a locked down side by each lens to lens
comparison on a tripod. I just shoot them, look at it on the light table,
screen it, and both lenses cut fine images.

I did try a small comparison, a couple dozen frames back to back, on the
screen with pro shooters who had a problem picking the difference between
the 15 SLR images and the M 15 images. They were rather surprised at the
positive results as have I been with the 15 M

As far as the 12 ? I've not used one.  I've seen colour prints by Henning
Wulff with the 12mm and it's quite amazing the quality of the glass and the
incredible angle of view it delivers. Not just a wide angle scenic, but when
shooting interiors in very close quarters. It's an excellent lens and I'd
put money on it that a client wouldn't know the difference between Leica to
Cosina. ;-)
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant