Subject: RE: [Leica] Warranty & New vs. Used
From: "Kevin M. Bell" <newsgroups@camera-collectors.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 12:13:24 -0600

- --=====================_123988455==_.ALT

At 11:18 AM 6/3/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>I believe, in the US, that law requires a manufacturer to honor the warranty
>you were given when you purchased the item, no matter what country you
>purchased it in, if the company has "presence" in the US.

This may be the case, but a "gray market" item is sold *without* a
manufacturer's warranty.  A manufacturer will not be held to a warranty
offered by a retailer - especially if that retailer is not a distributor of
the manufacturer's equipment.

Gray market equipment are backed up only by the seller.  Fine if they have
quality techs, terrible if they don't.

Kevin M. Bell
www.Camera-Collectors.Com

- --=====================_123988455==_.ALT

At 11:18 AM 6/3/2001 -0400, you wrote:<br>
requires a manufacturer to honor the warranty<br>
you were given when you purchased the item, no matter what country
you<br>
purchased it in, if the company has &quot;presence&quot; in the US.&nbsp;
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
This may be the case, but a &quot;gray market&quot; item is sold
*without* a manufacturer's warranty.&nbsp; A manufacturer will not be
held to a warranty offered by a retailer - especially if that retailer is
not a distributor of the manufacturer's equipment.<br><br>
Gray market equipment are backed up only by the seller.&nbsp; Fine if
they have quality techs, terrible if they don't.<br><br>
Kevin M. Bell<br>

Replies: Reply from "Kevin M. Bell" <newsgroups@camera-collectors.com> (RE: [Leica] Warranty & New vs. Used)