Subject: RE: [Leica] Warranty & New vs. Used
From: "Kevin M. Bell" <newsgroups@camera-collectors.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Jun 2001 12:23:30 -0600

- --=====================_124594146==_.ALT

At 12:15 PM 6/3/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>I believe Nikon has to service warranty repairs, it's just they won't repair
>it after the warranty is up, which they can refuse to do.
>
>JMO...

Unfortunately that is not the case.  Major manufacturers are trying to
protect US dealers, who put a tremendous amount of money into stock
inventory to qualify as dealers.  One way is to refuse to service cameras
that are not purchased through normal channels.  Check with a gray market
dealer, and they will tell you about their "USA Warranty" - but it is *not*
a manufacturer's warranty!  It is the dealer's warranty, and the major
manufacturers will not provide warranty service.  Nikon goes one step
further, and will not service *any* gray market equipment, even after the
warranty period.  An acquaintance bought a used gray market F4 which
promptly quit working.  He sent it to Nikon USA repair, who sent it back
with regrets.

This was two years ago, but AFAIK nothing has changed.  It isn't a problem
if you know good techs, just don't count on the manufacturer's help.

Kevin M. Bell
www.Camera-Collectors.Com

- --=====================_124594146==_.ALT

At 12:15 PM 6/3/2001 -0400, you wrote:<br>
warranty repairs, it's just they won't repair<br>
it after the warranty is up, which they can refuse to do.<br><br>
JMO...</blockquote>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
Unfortunately that is not the case.&nbsp; Major manufacturers are trying
to protect US dealers, who put a tremendous amount of money into stock
inventory to qualify as dealers.&nbsp; One way is to refuse to service
cameras that are not purchased through normal channels.&nbsp; Check with
a gray market dealer, and they will tell you about their &quot;USA
Warranty&quot; - but it is *not* a manufacturer's warranty!&nbsp; It is
the dealer's warranty, and the major manufacturers will not provide
warranty service.&nbsp; Nikon goes one step further, and will not service
*any* gray market equipment, even after the warranty period.&nbsp; An
acquaintance bought a used gray market F4 which promptly quit
working.&nbsp; He sent it to Nikon USA repair, who sent it back with
regrets.<br><br>
This was two years ago, but AFAIK nothing has changed.&nbsp; It isn't a
problem if you know good techs, just don't count on the manufacturer's
help.<br><br>
Kevin M. Bell<br>

Replies: Reply from "Kevin M. Bell" <newsgroups@camera-collectors.com> (RE: [Leica] Warranty & New vs. Used)