Subject: RE: [Leica] 35mm R Lens recommendation
From: "Rodgers, David" <david.rodgers@xo.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 12:59:39 -0500

Dick

>>In a nutshell, the 35/1.4 - R is the best 35 lens I have used, including
the 35/1.4-M asph.  But perhaps I was just lucky with the one I got.<<

This brings up an interesting point regarding sample variations. Years ago I
had 3 Nikkor 28/2.8 AIS lenses. One was noticably superior to the other two;
so much so that I could pick out photographs I made with that lens.

My feeling is that with more pecise tooling today (perhaps an invalid
assumption on my part) lens variation is less than years ago. But I have a
28/2.8 Elmarit that I think it a cut above every other lens I own, including
a number of Leica lenses. I don't know how to describe it other than to say
that some images from this lens really jump out.

It's not even the latest 28 Elmarit. It's the 3rd version, but one of the
last made before the new version came out. It's not a very old lens, IOW. I
wonder if I have an exceptional sample of an already good lens, or if the
28/2.8 is something special across the board.

Dave