Subject: [Leica] In praise of de-automation .. the O series
From: Jeff Williams <jeffwill_nz@yahoo.fr>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 12:49:40 +0200 (CEST)

My photography seems to be going backwards. Most of
the time I'm carying a minilux because it is small and
auto everything; or using an M6 for weddings and
"serious" stuff; but now I am thoroughly enjoying
using the "O series" camera.
Leica were not wrong when they said it slows the
photographic process down. It did actually take me
about 20 minutes to load the first film but I managed
the second one in about three minutes!
I enjoy having to think about what I am taking and
manaully adjust everything. I can actually use the
viewer although my wife says she can't see anything in
it!
Initial impressions were somewhat disappointing as the
camera had passed through about six too many airport
x-ray machines and the first film had a heavy base
fog. I am waiting to see the results of the second
film. I did notice however that several of my photos
had a "lean" on the horizon so maybe I should use it
on a tripod (or recalibrate horizontal in my brain).
Most common reaction to the camera is "why on earth
did you buy that!". Seems not everyone likes new old
cameras..
Speaking of which might I mention that the camera was
15000 FF in New Zealand, direct from the Leica
distributor, as opposed to 20000FF in France (and yes
the 15000FF includes taxes). This is not my only
example of Leica equipment being less expensive in New
Zealand than in France (and the service in NZ is very
good as well despite the distance from Solms).
I will post a link to some pictures taken with the O
series as soon as I get something acceptable! It is
certainly not a camera you learn to use well in five
minutes, but for the moment I am fascinated by this
little piece of history.
Regards
Jeff "the kiwi".