Subject: Re: [Leica] OT - Paterson film tank/XTOL question
From: Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2001 11:11:22 -0700

>Simon,
>
>I sometimes develop two films in a Jobo tank (similar in size to the
>Paterson) in XTOL 1+3, using 125ml XTOL and 375ml water, meaning that I have
>only 62.5ml XTOL per film. The results are just fine, as long as you adjust
>the development time accordingly.
>
>Nathan

I do exactly the same thing, and get good results. In fact, I am quite
surprised by the amounts specified by Anchell and Troop in the "Film
Developing Cookbook" to "develop the film to its full potential" (p. 31):

Undilute developers - at least 250 ml
Dilute developers - at least 500 ml
Very dilute developers - 1 liter

According to the above, using XTOL 1:3, we need 4 liters of working
solution to process 1 roll of film, or have I misunderstood something here?
And if that is correct, are we to use as much of those 4 liters as our
single-roll tanks hold (8 oz.), or should we be using larger tanks (as John
suggests) to use as much developer as possible.

This one perplexes me.

Guy

Replies: Reply from Guy Bennett <gbennett@lainet.com> (Re: [Leica] OT - Paterson film tank/XTOL question)