Subject: Re: [Leica] Voigtlander 21mm??? ANY EXPERIENCE????
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 14:57:41 -0700

At 5:17 PM -0400 6/10/01, SthRosner@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 6/8/01 5:44:50 AM Eastern Daylight Time, imagecom@EUnet.yu
>writes:
>
><< I read rave reviews about Voigtlander's 21mm lens. has anyuone bought it?
>  I want that lens to be my only lens for my M6. I sit any good? How
>  does it compare to the SA34 or the new 21mmASPH?
>   >>

>I spoke with Tom A. this afternoon about this lens. He says it is excellent,
>has used one and they are due into the States very soon. I didn't ask him
>specifically about a comparison with the 21 ASPH. My strong guess is that it
>will not compare optically with the ASPH but of course, it does not compare
>financially either. If I recall, Tom said that the SA 3.4 was probably
>sharper at full aperture but differences stopped down were nominal. Of
>course, the SA 3.4 will not meter on the M6.
>
>Further deponent knoweth not.         Seth     LaK 9

I tried out Tom's lens a little while ago. In general it seems
excellent, with good contrast and resolution right from wide-open.
Only in the center does the SA 3.4 seem a bit sharper. Under most
circumstances it is quite flare resistant, but very occasionally
severe flare can be induced by having the sun in just the right place
in the picture. The 21 ASPH is very similar in overall performance
(my 21 SA has a bit higher resolution in the center) but is better at
f/4 and of course at f/2.8, and is definitely better with respect to
flare control. However, the ASPH has some definite distortion of the
compound curve variety, a typical characteristic of retrofocus
designs, while the 21 Cosina is almost as good as the SA. The 21
Cosina is, of course, also slightly retrofocus, but a lot less so
than the 21 ASPH. The interesting thing is that the Cosina has about
as little light falloff as the ASPH. All in all a very good
performance. These comparisons were made on just 3 rolls of Delta
100, so not very exhaustive.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design