Subject: Re: [Leica] RE:Use of ND Filters
From: henry <henry@henryambrose.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 07:50:44 -0500

>> >When I use fill flash with my Nikon I dial back the flash 1.5 - 2.0 stops
>> >resulting in a very pleasing and natural looking portrait.  Seems to me (if
>> >I'm following this thread correctly), I could use an ND to slow my shutter
>> >speed down to sync speed and use the flash at full output and get properly
>> >exposed ambient with the flash at 1.5-2.0 stops below, depending upon the
>> >filter used.
>> >

>> Yep!
>>
>> Henry
>
>Are we talking TTL metering? The flash would just increase to overcome
>the filtration, and you'd have an ordinary looking flash picture, with
>the background two stops lower than usual.
>Phil
Nope.
Its not about metering in the camera.

I am talking specifically about an "Auto" type flash on a manual camera.
But its the same on a TTL camera too.  "dial back the flash" means he's
using flash exposure compensation with his Nikon flash. In effect telling
the flash to give less light and less contribution to the exposure.

All this is about is getting an M6 operating within its sync speed so
fill flash can be used.

Henry