Subject: [Leica] Re: Digital vs Chemical prints OT
From: "Bill Lawlor" <wvl@infinex.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2001 09:47:24 -0700

At a local art fair I had the chance to see two state of the art color print
processes compared side by side. Both photographers are local here in
Fairfax. Wyn Hoag makes landscapes shot with Nikon and Fuji 617. He shoots
on Provia 100F and Velvia. All the scanning and printing is done by Bill
Nordstrom in Santa Cruz on the highest end scanners and laserjet printers to
Fuji SF-5 materials.His prints are large, 16X20 and up.

Dan Baumbach www.timelesslight.com also shoots Velvia in his Nikons. His
prints were the first I have actually seen from an Epson 2000P. His booth
was right next to Wyn's. Most of  Dan's work was 13X19. His prints are of
such quality that I was unsure if they were medium format or 35mm. They
exhibit absolutely no artifacts of digital printing that I could see.

Both exhibitors were showing excellent work. I preferred Dan's 'scapes and
flowers and the "aura" of the inkjet prints. I may never print RA-4 again.
(And I just bought a new halogen EVW bulb for the Besleler 45!)

Bill Lawlor