Subject: Metering "Pete" (was: Re: [Leica] "Pete")
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: 12 Jun 2001 08:44:42 -0700

On Tue, 12 June 2001, "Julian Koplen" wrote:

> Would you please say how
> you arrive at the exposure for such a subject on slide film?
> Mostly shadow side of a white horse in motion.  Incident
> reading of the location, gray card in sun or shadow, fudge
> or compensation factors, etc?  Thanks again
>
> Julian

Julian,

I used the SL's built-in meter on the shadow side of his neck.  I think the exposure was 1/250 or so, f/5.6 on K64, one stop more light than "Sunny 16".  I didn't want to lose much highlight detail, and the white coat on the shady side turned in to a detailed mid-tone.  This is a case where I can do something similar to altering the film's response curve by using the "Levels" control in Photoshop to bring up the shaded whites, rather than using modified exposure and development as one might with sheet film & the zone system.

I try not to use this technique too much because if used in extreme cases I'll lose too much tonal gradation.

BTW the light that evening was fantastic.  Even non-photographers commented on it.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe