Subject: Vs: [Leica] Russian Leica Copy Heresy
From: "Raimo Korhonen" <raimo.korhonen@pp2.inet.fi>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 21:39:34 +0200

They are good but simplified copies of the Leica models they supposedly are modelled after. Do not allow yourself be fooled by the gorgeous markings and special finishes. I have come across a model with gold (looking) plating, wood (mahogany!) instead of Vulcanite, marked Bildberichter (photo reporter) with Reichsadler (Reich´s eagle) and swastikas - straight from Moscow.
At a cheap price they can be fun and they are quite reliable if properly adjusted and the quality of the lenses is not that bad. BTW the early un-tampered versions are more valuable than the respective Leicas they are modelled after. The Soviets were the first to copy Leicas - before WW II.
All the best!
Raimo
Personal photography homepage at http://personal.inet.fi/private/raimo.korhonen