Subject: Re: [Leica] Capitalpride pictures
From: Simon Stevens <simon@camera-craftsman.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2001 09:20:52 -0400

>Hi Simon,
>The first thing that comes to mind is, there isn't any separation
between
>subject and back ground.

>Like everything is in focus! Why not try working with the highest
possible
>shutter speed and the widest possible aperture? . . .

>ted

Hi Ted!

Thanks for taking a look, and I appreciate your comments. I agree with
you and Dan that the clutter is a problem. I already cut the worst
offenders, including one where a stray bush blended with a woman's hair
creating a beehive effect. She looked like Divine in the movie
Haiirspray!

I do think, however, that this is a problem that low-res scans
exaggerate versus the original prints. I know this sounds defensive, but
in the shade where the light intensity was less and the subjects more
static I was mostly at 2.8 or 4 and there is quite a bit of separation
visible, even with the 35mm lens shots. If I had to pick one shot from
the day it would be the shot of the black and white couple embracing.
That was a grab shot taken at (I think) 2.8. On the print their faces
are sharp, but the man's arm and tatoo are going a little soft and the
backgound is even softer and I think this only enhances the shot.

Out in the sun where most of the event took place, however, I do think I
was running into a real dilemma. It was noon and was so bright I was
already using high shutter speeds, so 2.8 would have been impossible.
Also, the subjects were mostly walking or riding in moving cars and I
was jostled or was walking myself. So I compromised on around f8 at 250
to get a reasonable hit rate.

Doubtless with more practice I could use a higher aperture and still
nail the focus on moving targets, get a decent composition, and take it
at just the right instant, and maybe one day I'll be as good as Johnny
or yourself at doing this. Not yet, however, but with the critical help
of you and other more experienced photographers, I will keep trying.

Simon Stevens

P.S. Mark Rabiner commented (actualy complemented - thanks!) on the
darkroom work with the bright sun. As you suggest, Mark, the prints were
a bitch to do. The worst was the backlit cowboy shot with the Heliar.
Talk about Dodge City!

Simon

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Capitalpride pictures)