Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: NEW Photo Newsletter: The 37th Frame Returns
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2001 23:29:35 -0700

Jeff Moore wrote:

> Thanks for passing that on.  I've always enjoyed Mike's writing, and
> appreciated what he has to say about pictures even (especially?) when
> I'm not drawn to the same pictures he is.  His solid grounding in the
> literature of photographic criticism and theory was a refreshing
> counterpoint to the sometimes-aggressively know-nothin' postures of
> some of our LUG chume.

Like Erwin for instance? What other low brow Leica users did he continually
conflict with? Me?

After years of putting down Leica's as a rich mans camera on Compuserve Mike
Johnston came on to the LUG with decidedly mixed messages as to Leica use.

This was right after naming the top cameras in his then magazine and not even
having Leica in the top ten!! Cameras you never heard of some guy started making
in his garage last year and will never see or hear from again were put way above
Leica. As a number of here today gone tomorrow toys.

Give me a guy who puts his agenda on the table. I don't' think in his entire
time on the LUG he ever got around to actually using any Leicas himself. Not once.
And He browbeat us with a bunch of intellectual academic officious BS.
Convinced people to send him prints for him to judge for gods sake! I just about puked.
To find out if Leica pictures looked any better was that it?
And corrected our spelling when an argument didn't go his way.
His projects don't need to be day after day promoted here. It is decidedly off
topic. It is spam.
It is anti topic.

We are not a bunch of anti-intellectuals here by far by I think that is obvious.
It seems that we are such a bunch of nifty guys (and gal) that people who would
not be seen dead with a Leica want to come on the list and BS with us.
A little flattering but not when they have an anti Leica hidden agenda.

I'll take an Anthony or Oddmund anyday over a Johnston.
I'm real happy he's gone. And hate being constantly reminded about him now.

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon
USA

Replies: Reply from Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: NEW Photo Newsletter: The 37th Frame Returns)