Subject: RE: [Leica] re: deserve this leica
From: "rp johnson" <rpjohnson2@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 17:06:14 -0700

Cassidy,

Stop whining (no "g"; I am an American).  Of course you don't deserve those
Leicas; you don't even deserve the Holga (sorry Leica H).
You are not a photographer, no way, no how.  Now a storyteller... a
raconteur, yes.  When I am blue and bemoan my fate, I reread some of your
stuff (usually the story about Hemmingway, HCB, and you) and snort milk out
my nose.  Picks me right up.

You are like a god to us SLUGer's here.  Once a month, we get together with
our wives and sweethearts (we make them all wear long red wigs) and drink
boilermakers (made with single malt), stack our Leicas, and complain that if
we only had new Holgas, our stuff would be as good as yours.  Of course we
are pretty shot by that time.  Then we prowl the late night streets looking
for retired dentists to beat senseless with Tom's 400 telyt.

"Do I really deserve this Leica?"  Give us a break!  Who does deserve it?
What are you going to do?  Give it to Cindy Sherman?  After she said you
could take a photo of your thumb if you life depended on it.

Wait till you see Tom's photos of the nude bikers in the Fremont parade.  We
owe this all to you.  I am even putting film in my Leica now.   Your photos
are inspiring a whole new generation of yuppie slackers to molest innocent
people on the street with funny looking cameras.  We stand in awe.

RP Johnson