Subject: [Leica] Tripods and R gear
From: "Rodgers, David" <david.rodgers@xo.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2001 19:29:29 -0500

I just toted a tripod on a trip to Northern California and back (to
Portland) over the weekend. I flew down and drove back. When I say a tripod
I mean a Gitzo reporter and not a little weekender. Purpose of the trip was
to pick up a car. But I also wanted to photograph a bit, in particular to
check out Fuji Acros for the first time.

To my surprise I discovered that carrying around a large tripod on planes,
through airports, on Bart and on a crowded bus, is not at all inconvenient.
What's inconvenient is all the MF or LF gear that I usually carry along when
I take a bigger tripod. I took my R gear in a backpack that's designed for a
laptop. The pack's compartmentalized. Two bodies and 5 lenses (and underwear
and a toothbrush) fit nicely. The tripod was attached via external straps.
It never got in the way.

I used my 80-200/4 (R7) and 90/2 (SL), much of the time, but also a 28/2.8 R
and 35/2 R. I could have hand held, but I think it's safe to say my Acros
test will be more conclusive having used a tripod.

I don't know if all this is all even worth mentioning. But I was completely
amazed at the usefulness of the larger tripod. Quite often when traveling
I'll carry a weekender, or a tabletop tripod of some sort. They hardly get
used. I never felt they offered much advantage over hand held. They became
excess weight. I half expected the Gitzo would be an even bigger anchor.
Quite the contrary. I'm going to carry it with 35mm more often.

This little experience had me wondering what percentage of the time R users
rely on a tripod? For me it was 5 percent; but likely going way up. I must
confess, part of it's an age issue. I just can't hold as steadily as I used
to, and I'm not ready to give up drinking coffee. I'm thinking carbon fiber
legs might be the way to go.

Dave