Subject: RE: [Leica] filmscanners: Time to upgrade: Opinions wanted
From: "Rodgers, David" <david.rodgers@xo.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 11:14:43 -0500

Douglas,

>>For what it's worth, I am Very, VERY pleased with the nikon Coolscan IV.
Some have complained about edge sharpness of the Nikon LS-4000, but I am
skeptical of those commentaries.<<

I went through a new scanner purchasing dilemna recently. Do I replace my
LS-30, or do I buy a decent flatbed that can scan 120 and 4x5? I opted for
the latter, and bought an Epson 1680. In the meantime I determined to
extract every ounce of capability I could from my LS-30. Looking at scans
from a year ago, vs recent scans, I'm amazed at how much better my scanner
has become. And I'm certain the newer Coolscans have far more potential.

New and improved scanners are like any other photographic equipment in
certain respects. Leica cameras, for instance, have far more potential than
I extract on every frame. But it's nice to know the potential exists. I
understand that the edge sharpness issue -- if it exists -- in the LS-4000
may be related to film flatness. There's always glass slide mounts (which
don't just work on transparency film). Digital scanning faces the same
bugaboos as traditional printing in that respect.

Dave