Subject: Re: [Leica] cleaning a LS-2000 isn't that hard
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 21:59:42 +0200

Birkey writes:

> But it was really quite easy as I only removed
> 4 screws (for the cover, located on the back),
> with a few q-tips, lens fluid and 1/2 of time...
> I've got essentially a new scanner again....

You may not be happy to hear this, but if you remove the slide adaptor or strip
film adaptor so that the front of the scanner is open, then turn the scanner on
and wait until the scan head is very nearly at the end of its travel at the
front of the scanner, then turn it back off, the scan head and leans are ideally
positioned for careful cleaning with Q-tips and lens fluid.  You don't have to
undo any screws or take anything apart at all.

See, the head of the scanner always returns to that position when you have no
adapter installed, so that you can install the set screw for transport, if
necessary.  So by turning it on and waiting until it moves to the most
accessible position, you can clean it without disassembling anything.