Subject: Re: [Leica] photography in stores, malls, etc.
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 20:23:46 +0200

George Lottermoser writes:

> ... I have witnessed the gradual clamp down
> on photographic accessibility to people and
> places, not the least of which - our national
> parks.

National parks??  Please explain.

> In almost all cases these pre-production
> procedures will allow you access to almost any
> one and any where. Its a new world and we must
> think and work professionally with in it.

But sometimes you already _have_ access, and if you do not assert your rights
when they are walked upon by others, eventually you won't have any rights at
all.  If you don't have to ask the rent-a-cop for permission to take pictures,
then don't ask permission.  If he objects, you point out that you have your
rights, too.

What you may be overlooking is that this "new world" is far more restrictive
than the old, and so far less photography is possible.  If no photographer ever
resists this trend, there won't be any photography in the future.  Thank
goodness this same trend has not spread to the written word yet, at least not
significantly, but it's probably only a matter of time.