Subject: Re: [Leica] photography in stores, malls, etc.
From: George Lottermoser <imagist@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 09:59:10 -0500

dmark8@qwest.net (Mark E Davison)6/21/017:07 AM

> Prohibiting
> photography in malls virtually wipes out the possibility of
capturing modern
> community life.

Having begun my photographic life in the mid-sixties, I have
witnessed the gradual clamp down on photographic accessibility to
people and places, not the least of which - our national parks.
And I agree with you that, unfortunately, the malls have become
the "community" of suburban life. And if we wish to have a
serious historical photographic record of these times, the malls
need coverage.

> So sometimes it does make sense to "get all huffy."

But the way to approach any of these restricted situations, if we
have a serious interest in the subject, remains doing the work to
contact the people who can give you access and permissions, so
that when the rent-a-cop comes up to you, you show him/her the
slip that says you have the authority to do this work. Ted's
beautiful work in hospitals did not come out of his marching into
offices and opperating rooms and grabbing what he could before
they asked him to leave; but from working with people who
understood the project and allowed him access. In almost all
cases these pre-production procedures will allow you access to
almost any one and any where. Its a new world and we must think
and work professionally with in it.

George

Replies: Reply from Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com> (Re: [Leica] photography in stores, malls, etc.)
Reply from "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> (Re: [Leica] photography in stores, malls, etc.)