Subject: Re: [Leica] photography in stores, malls, etc.
From: George Lottermoser <imagist@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 14:06:28 -0500

mxsmanic@hotmail.com (Mxsmanic)6/21/018:23 PM

> National parks??  Please explain.

If you take a professional view camera into a national park and
start working with it on a tripod, etc. and an official sees you
working, in all likely hood they will ask you to show them the
appropriate permits.

> If you don't have to ask the rent-a-cop for permission to take
pictures,
> then don't ask permission.  If he objects, you point out that
you have your
> rights, too.

I did not suggest that you ask the rent-a-cop for permission, but
rather in a case where restrictions apply, that you get the
appropriate permisssions and avoid conflict.

> What you may be overlooking is that this "new world" is far
more restrictive

I clearly stated that I have watched our freedoms erode in my 40
years of working - not overlooking that reality. I don't like the
erosion, but speak from the point of view of current realities,
validated by the experiences mentioned in this thread. Should we
challenge unjust authority? Yes. Should we change unjust laws and
regulations? Yes. But we should also keep aware of the current
reality and work professionally for our own peace of mind and
those that come after us.

George

Replies: Reply from "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> (Re: [Leica] photography in stores, malls, etc.)