Subject: [Leica] 35mm Summicron w/goggles on M5
From: robert o beaudoin <bussbearm@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 21:24:42 -0400

Bonsoir,

  Speaking of lenses with goggles, last week I had a...discussion...with
a local Montreal technician regarding the use of a 35mm Summicron with
goggles on an M5.  He told me that it was not recommended as there will
be focusing inaccuracies.  He could not explain exactly why.  I told him
that I did not see why such a combination is not appropriate.  The lens
simply minifies the 50mm frame to show the 35mm field of view.  As for
focusing accuracy, my lens with goggles focuses properly, showing the
same distance on the focusing scale as my SM Summicron with a bayonet
adapter; 2 meters on both lenses for an object...2 meters in front of a
camera.  By the way, as a bonus, such a combination offers the
possibility for eyeglasses wearer of seeing the whole field of view and
the metering area is visible in the finder.

  Anyone has experience with such a combination?  Any theoretical reason
why a lens with goggles should not be used on an M5?

  Salutations,

  Robert (Un chevalier sans blason)
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.