Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: M Purity/B&W
From: "David Kieltyka" <daverk@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 18:48:19 -0400

Mxsmanic <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Steve LeHuray writes:
>
>> My psychological block is even more severe
>> than Mxsmanic's, I refuse to put color film
>> in any of my Ms. It is B&W or nothing.
>
> That is not an Official Rule for me, but I do notice that my M seems
> to be always loaded with B&W film (usually Tri-X, even though I know
> that much of the Leica glass is wasted on a film like Tri-X), whereas
> my Nikon always seems to be loaded with Provia. The stuff I
> photography with the M (people, situations, activities) just lends itself
> to B&W, whereas I photograph a lot of scenery and stuff with the
> Nikon, which tends to encourage use of color.

A Leica M and Tri-X are a classic combo. Take Jim Marshall for but one
example. The ability of the lenses to pull out shadow detail is IMO at least
as important as their sharpness.

My two Ms are almost always loaded with B&W too...Delta 100 or XP2 Super or
HP5+ or Delta 3200. As much as I love Tri-X when other people use it I seem
to get along best with Ilford products.

- -Dave-

Replies: Reply from "onetreehillclw" <onetreehillclw@compaq.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: M Purity/B&W)
Message from "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: M Purity/B&W)