Subject: [Leica] OT: Classic Recordings
From: "David Kieltyka" <daverk@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 21:29:13 -0400

Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> wrote:

> It's interesting that digital technology does not cut it when
> extracting the info from very old recordings. The best way
> is to actually PLAY the record so it goes THOUGH the
> horn attached to the needle and mike THAT for a few feet
> away. No other way (yet) of making it sound as good and
> it sounds quite good. No algorithm for that horn! A Very
> satisfying listen much of that old stuff from the turn of the
> century.

After Sony/CBS released a revised version (from "newly discovered sources")
of their Robert Johnson double CD set a few years ago (classic acoustic
blues from the mid/late 1930s, for those of you not familiar with RJ) a
record collector acquaintance played me a cassette tape copy of some of the
same material. He had recorded it exactly as Mark describes from original
78s in his collection. My CDs have fewer clicks & pops & whatnot but that
tape had a musical presence the discs utterly lack.

For the Louis Armstrong fans among us there's a four-disc set of the Hot
Fives & Sevens recordings (mid-to-late 1920s) available on the JSP label.
Excellent sound quality...I believe it was also transfered to digital format
via mic'd horn. Skip the thin-sounding Columbia version and get this one
instead.

- -Dave-

Message from "Barney Quinn, Jr." <barney@ncep.noaa.gov> (Re: [Leica] yesterday's technolgy at retired dentists prices!)
Message from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] yesterday's technolgy at retired dentists prices!)