Subject: Re: [Leica] Home depot and the rest
From: SthRosner@aol.com
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 18:48:44 EDT

In a message dated 6/23/01 1:42:40 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
darkroom@ix.netcom.com writes:

<< hearsay could not be
 used in criminal cases as evidence, but in civil it could.  This would allow
 the cop to basically say "I saw him speeding" and the judge could then say
 "guilty", and no further proof was required. >>

Wrong twice. Hearsay is not allowed in criminal or civil proceedings, with
certain exceptions. When a cop says: "I saw him speeding" that is not
hearsay, it is his direct testimony of his perception (correct or faulty) of
the event. If the cop's testimony were: my partner told me he saw the
defendant speeding, that's hearsay. The testifying cop has no testimony of
his own perceptions that bears on guilt or innocence; he is attempting to
prove guilt or innocence through the perceptions of another. The reason
Anglo-American common law bars the use of hearsay is precisely because the
witness whose [out-of-court] testimony is being used to establish guilt or
innocence is not in court and therefore not subject to cross-examination to
test his recollection, veracity, credibility etc.

If the cop testified: "the defendant told me that he was speeding" that is
also hearsay but it is admissible hearsay as one of the exceptions: it is an
admission against self-interest.

Seth    LaK 9

Replies: Reply from Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net> (RE: [Leica] Home depot and the rest)