Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: M Purity/B&W
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 01:09:13 +0200

> Tri-X is a very sharp film, with
> proper development.

Yes, but the resolution is not very high, because the grain interferes with the
resolution of small details.

> Also, grain can be reduced substantially,
> again, with proper development...like D-76
> 1:1.

I typically develop in straight D-76.  Slight overexposure seems to improve
grain (i.e., make it less obvious); I recover from the overexposure in scanning,
not in development, and it is important not to overdo it.

> How do you develop it?  Please be
> precise.

Straight D-76, following Kodak's instructions exactly, usually at 22-24 degrees
Celsius (adjusting development time to match ambient temperature).  I get better
results (less contrast, less grain) than my one-hour lab, which uses some sort
of high-speed Ilford chemistry for their B&W development; however, the grain is
still pretty easy to see, especially in shadow areas.

> Also, how large are you printing that this
> is causing you a 'problem'?

If it caused me a problem, I wouldn't use Tri-X.  It simply rules out cropping;
the image is visibly more coarse when cropped, such that you can tell that
you're not looking at the full frame.  Fortunately, I almost never crop, anyway.
In a full 35mm image viewed at one time, the grain is typically not very
intrusive.  You just can't look up very close.

If I need resolution and fine grain, I shoot Tech Pan, even though it is very
slow and a pain to develop (APX 25 is no longer an option).