Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Re: Re: M Purity/B&W
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 01:14:00 +0200

Johnny Deadman writes:

> The biggest hassle for me with the chromogenic
> films has been getting a tonality I like.

I periodically try chromogenic films, and each time I do, I get "flat" results
that I just don't like.  Not only that, but if I want results like that, I can
just shoot Provia and desaturate the result in Photoshop, and it looks exactly
the same.  The problem is that color images converted to visually-correct
grayscale seem to lack "punch."  Tri-X, in contrast, for whatever reason(s),
renders black-and-white tones wonderfully, and I keep coming back to it.

> You'd think you'd be able to pull them into
> shape with a photoshop curve that gives them
> more of a toe and shoulder but it's much harder
> than it sounds.

Part of it, I think, is that chromogenic films are more panchromatic.  There is
nothing you can do to change spectral response in Photoshop for a
black-and-white film ... if red and blue render with the same luminance in a pan
film, for example, you're out of luck--you'll never separate them.

I think that Tri-X's poor sensitivity to red somehow separates things better in
many real-world shots.