Subject: [Leica] Re: wars...
From: David Prakel <dgp@btconnect.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 09:26:49 +0100

on 27/6/2001 3:07 am, various people at leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
replied to:

> Which brings to mind an unrelated question:  Of all the Leica users out
> there, particularly Leica M users, who also have SLRs, how many are using
> C*n*n equipment as opposed to N*k*n equipment, and why?

I got hooked on Leica glass when I bought an M4-P with 35 Summilux and 90
Tele-Elmarit to replace a Nikon EL with 35 f2 and 85 optics. I used the M4-P
alongside a Nikon F2 with 20mm/55mm/135/200 optics for a while but the Leica
shots were so distinctive - to my eye at least - I reluctantly gave up the
F2 body for the 'inferior' R4 with a 24mm Elmarit, 60 Macro Elmarit and a
180 f4. I'm still churning film through that camera and lenses 17 years on
having added lenses and more recently an R8. The original M lenses survived
(the 35lux is the one lens I'd save from the fire) when I changed from the
M4 to an M6 to get a decent built-in meter.

Someone also mentioned Pentax on this topic. I was working last year with
schools projects through a Community Darkroom in NY state. The SLRs we used
were Pentax ZXMs (MXMs in the UK???) with manual focus Pentax 35-85 zooms.
The results from this camera system were simply superb. Light, crisp images
is the only way I can describe it - not the rich velvety mid tone of the
Leica lenses but lively images in their own way. The Pentax images I
certainly could live with.

- --
David Prakel