Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica fotografie
From: "Griffith, Lucian" <lgriffiths@ue.com.au>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 16:34:23 +1000

Hi Charles,

There were some comments on the LUG just recently about this magazine, not
terribly favourable.  I received a free subscription to it when I bought
some gear last year and find it a bit uneven.

It often has news of new products or developments - but nothing you can't
find out subscribed to the LUG or browsing the web briefly... It also
sometimes has some interesting technical discussion of Leica equipment, such
as an issue or so ago which talked about the various merits of the different
viewfinder magnifications...

Apart from that, the various photographers showcased can vary from great to
b-o-r-i-n-g - but that's like any photography magazine.  For more
interesting photography I'd go to publications such as Aperture, European
Photography etc.

It's not a magazine for camera collectors.

IMO I don't know really why there needs to be a magazine devoted to images
taken with Leicas and I doubt if all of it is (the recent article about the
blind photographer was a case in point - I can't imagine how he'd get by
without autofocus...)

It's worth a flip through, is occasionally interesting but also has some
dead spots.  Generally it's not a "keeper" kind of mag (like Aperture, for
example)...

cheers,
Lucian G.