Subject: Re: [Leica] wars...
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 10:47:03 +0200

Jeff S writes:

> Kind of like "yesterday's technology at tomorrow's
> prices" eh?

You mean like agriculture, or metallurgy, or coal mining, or printing, or any
one of thousands of other technologies?

Just because technology was developed fifty years ago, and not yesterday
afternoon, does not make the former inferior to the latter.  That is a common
misconception of those who have grown up with a handful of rapidly changing and
evolving technologies, such as computers.

In the case of photography, it has been lens, shutter, and film for a hundred
years, and this works just as well now as it did when it was developed.  There
isn't much need for anything more, despite the desire of some vendors to _sell_
more.

> Awhile recuperating from the flu earlier this
> year, I passed the time on eBay and somehow found
> myself in possession of 2 Nikon Fs, and a 35/3.5
> PC-Nikkor, all of this for a bit less than the
> cheapest M-camera.

Must be because you are buying yesterday's technology.  The F is forty years
old; the M6 TTL is only about 15 years old, if I remember correctly (?).

Replies: Reply from "Barney Quinn, Jr." <barney@ncep.noaa.gov> (Re: [Leica] wars...)