Subject: Re: [Leica] wars...
From: "Barney Quinn, Jr." <barney@ncep.noaa.gov>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 10:27:11 -0400

Mxsmanic,

> Just because technology was developed fifty years ago, and not yesterday
> afternoon, does not make the former inferior to the latter.  That is a common
> misconception of those who have grown up with a handful of rapidly changing and
> evolving technologies, such as computers.

It happens that, by night, I am learning to play the cello. (There are many
similarities to photography, but that's for a different time.) Violins, Violas,
Cellos, and Basses provide a wonderful example of the myth of what we called, when
I was young, the march of progress. These instruments have existed in their present
form for something about three centuries. True, there have been some refinements,
but the fact remains that the work of the old masters - Stradavari, Goofriller,
Amati, et al, is still in use today, and selling for millions more that they did
when they were new.

Barney

Message from "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> (Re: [Leica] wars...)