Subject: Re: Re: [Leica] Back Pain & Bags
From: ShadCat11@aol.com
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 15:17:18 EDT

Add my witness.  I, too, had chronic back pains until taking up abdominal
crunches.  Now, only when I get lazy about doing them do the back pains
return.  But still, there is something to be said for well-designed photo
luggage to aid and extend a photographer's ability to pack it all without
involving orthopedics.

These days I excercise more, carry less, and use whatever aids or bags that
seem to offer improvements in carryability.  None of it has stopped my
complaining, but some of us are like that.

Allen Zak

<<I second Tina's excellent advice. About 5 years ago I was having awful lower
back pain. A friend suggested stomach crunches as a way to strengthen the
area.
I started doing them nightly and am still at it. I don't do a lot (30 per
night)
but doing any with the correct form is the way to go. Actually, doing them
with
the incorrect form can be damaging. FOCUS on keeping your lower back pressed
the floor. And grunt. It doesn't do anything. But it makes you feel good.

Five years later I still hate them. But they work so I keep on.
Lea

Ted Grant wrote:

> > local Y and do back and abdomen strengthening exercises on the weight
> > machines.  Whatever time you have to spend is well worth it.  I had
> > problems for years but now go to the Y at least 4 times a week and can now
> > bench-press a 60 pound camera bag into the overhead compartment several
> > times a day and still feel great!  <<<<<
>
> Hi Tina,
>
> That is the best advice anyone has posted. And comes from the experience of
> a working photojournalist accustomed to carrying a bunch of gear compared to
> an M and a couple of lenses as many of our contemporaries do.
>
> In my case, at 72, I can't slough around eating jelly donuts and being a
> couch potato while still shooting 12 hour days on a fairly regular bases.
>
> I power walk every morning at 6 a.m, rain, shine or whatever. No matter
> where I am! If one isn't reasonably fit, I don't mean one of those body
> building Neanderthals, but fit by swimming a few times a week and power
> walking a half dozen miles each morning as fast as you can then you are
> going to have back pain from carrying a minilux and two rolls of film.;-)
>
> Nothing fancy, just start out walking as far as you can in 15 minutes, then
> try to return to the start point quicker. Do that every morning and build
> that to at least an hour plus. And when you're accomplishing that each
> morning, throw in at least three mornings a week doing a bunch of laps in
> the pool at the Y or the community pool..
>
> Then hell it's nothing to throw those camera bags and gear around like
> toys.;-)  And what was it you young lads were saying about needing bags to
> carry all your equipment ?  A couple of "m's and a few lenses?" ;-) get
> serious! ;-)
>
> One of the most important accessories a photographer can have is, an
> excellent pair of legs! And a reasonably broad set of shoulders to hang gear
> on.
>
> But the legs are the most important,
>
> So young un's get yer butts out the door, or as Tina says, "Down to the Y a
> few times a week and your photography will improve because you'll have the
> stamina to go farther, walk longer and in the event of a ner do well wanting
> to hang one on you for taking his picture.... you'll be able to run faster!
> ;-)
>
> See you in the morning at 6.00! :-)
> ted
>
> Ted Grant Photography Limited