Subject: Re: Re: [Leica] Robert Capa Photo
From: ShadCat11@aol.com
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 08:05:56 EDT

There have been discussions as you have outlined, but it has been my
understanding that the photograph was verified as authentic only in the last
few years.  The soldier in the photo was identified by name and as the only
man on the Republican side in the engagement killed that day.  That Capa
would have staged a picture with the only man to have later been shot would
have been unlikely.

There is still some speculation as how the exposure was made.  One version
has it that Capa held his camera over the top of the trench in which he was
taking cover and pressed the shutter release blindly, the resulting image a
complete fluke.  Another was that he was focussing on the man, tripping the
shutter simultaneously with his having been also struck by a bullet, also a
completely unexpected outcome.

I read about this in one of the photo magazines, possibly American Photo or
DoubleTake.  Sorry, I don't really remember the source, but those are the
only ones to which I subscribe (although I browse a lot, so it could have
been another.)

Until the proof sheet is published, the matter can't be settled completely,
but I see no reason to consider the picture as posed.  I do believe, however,
that it was unintentional.

Allen Zak

<<From Sal DiMarco Jr.

The Famous Robert Capa photo of the Spanish Loyalist falling at the

moment of death was made with a Leica.

- -----------------------

I have always been fascinated by that photo because to me it screamed

FAKE.  I cannot see how anybody can have reactions quick enough to have

captured that image unless he was taking a portrait of the soldier and

at the instant the shutter was pressed the poor guy took a bullet in

the chest.  This is my opinion not of a photographer but as an

ex-soldier.

A few years ago, when Eric Welch was anchorman of the LUG, someone

wrote that he had actually seen the roll of film that Capa sent to the

Times(?).  Apparantly the roll was full of various arrangements of the

theme with the same soldier posing and falling.  The Times(?) selected

the best of the bunch.

Eric (an ethical PJ) suppressed further discussion in his usual way, so

the issue was never resolved.  Anybody posting in that thread was made

to feel as though he was pissing on his grandmothers grave.

Is this story of the negatives a modern fairy tale?

Alan