Subject: Re: [Leica] yesterday's technolgy at retired dentists prices!
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2001 17:45:33 -0400

on 6/28/01 4:09 PM, ShadCat11@aol.com at ShadCat11@aol.com wrote:

> Q:  Please explain what you mean by "Tri-X isn't what it used to be?"  Is
> that to be pitied, censured or lauded?

dunno mate, that's a matter of taste. all I'm saying is that it's not the
same emulsion as that shot by Frank, Winogrand, HCB and the rest of the
usual suspects.

> Also, there seems to be some
> controversy about HP5+/Xtol, some darkroom practitioners liking the combo,
> others claiming unpleasant grain structure by it and recommending D76,
> instead.

I've been using it in 4x5 so grain isn't much of an issue.

> While I haven't had much experience with HP5+ , I have used Xtol extensively
> with other films, including TX, TMY, TMZ, Pan F, Delta 400, D 3200 and misc.
> others. I think it does a good job with them all, but except for a small
> increase in shadow detail, I don't see much difference between it and results
> in D 76 regarding grain and tonality.  Other than ease of mixing and up to
> 1/3 stop additional speed with some films., what do you believe the
> advantages of Xtol to be?

well I'd say more like 1/2 stop or even 1 stop when you use it 1:3. The
grain and sharpness seem to me to be a LOT better than D76 with most but not
all films.

- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com