Subject: Re: [Leica] yesterday's technolgy at retired dentists prices!
From: Christer Almqvist <christer@almqvist.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 10:21:48 +0200

>  > While I haven't had much experience with HP5+ , I have used Xtol
>extensively
>>  with other films, including TX, TMY, TMZ, Pan F, Delta 400, D 3200 and misc.
>>  others. I think it does a good job with them all, but except for a small
>>  increase in shadow detail, I don't see much difference between it
>>and results
>>  in D 76 regarding grain and tonality.  Other than ease of mixing and up to
>>  1/3 stop additional speed with some films., what do you believe the
>>  advantages of Xtol to be?
>
>well I'd say more like 1/2 stop or even 1 stop when you use it 1:3. The
>grain and sharpness seem to me to be a LOT better than D76 with most but not
>all films.
>
>--
>John Brownlow

I would agree with the last statement ('not all films'). One big
exception would be HP5, it definitely looks muddy in diluted Xtol. (I
have not tried it in undiluted.) HP5 shot at 800 looks beautiful in
Rodinal 1+25 for 10 mins at 68°.  Crisp and sharp-loking, with lots
of fine details, the perfact match for ASPH lenses.

With other films the '1/2 or even 1 stop gain' statement corrresponds
to what I have found, at least compared to Rodinal. A main reason for
me to use Xtol is that my skin prefers it to D76/ID-11.

I did not like the NEW Delta 400 in Xtol either, but the old one was
fine. I switched to TMY in Xtol 1+1 for those cases when I need
higher speed but a softer look than HP5 in Rodinal gives me

Chris
- --
Christer Almqvist
D-20255 Hamburg, Germany and/or