Subject: Re: [Leica] yesterday's technolgy at retired dentists prices!
From: Brian Reid <Brian.Reid@cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 10:24:00 -0700

> the entire history of twentieth century technology can be
> understood as nothing more that an elaboration of nineteenth
> century inventions.

Only true with a very parochial focus. All communications technology is
based on 20th-century work starting with Claude Shannon in 1922. In terms
of the technology that allows us to talk to each other here on the LUG, I
think the five most important technologies are QAM (Quadrature Amplitude
Modulation) from 1953, Erbium amplifiers from 1975, packet switching (1965
or so), Winchester magnetic domain deposition (1970 or so), and the theory
of directed acyclic graphs (1960's).

Those enable modems, fiber optics, hard drives, internetworking, and global
mesh routing. Next howabout liquid crystal (first understood in 1922,
manufactured in 1960, mass-produced in 1980) or cathode ray tubes (the
knowledge that electrons hitting rare earth would make light didn't happen
until 1935). And though it's too soon to recognize it as a technology, the
very concept of a mouse and a window and the interactive human factors that
make it work took 35 years to develop to what we now all take for granted.
In the 19th century nobody would even have recognized human factors as
being technological.

All of these technologies are based on theoretical understandings that were
utterly unknown in 1901, though David Hilbert, who was alive in 1901, did
much of the math that made QAM possible. Never mind that it took 50 years
to invent and build the vacuum tubes and ferrite-core coils that would make
it possible to test his math.

The Erbium amplifier, which makes long-distance fiber possible, is based on
theoretical research published for the first time in the 1960s; it is an
outgrowth of laser technology, based on work by Weber and Townsend in the
1940's that was not even conceivable until a generation of scientists had
used electron microscopes (1937) to study the crystallographic structure of
semiconductors.

Humbug

Brian Reid,
a 20th-century guy who is quite proud of the contributions of my century.

Replies: Reply from "Barney Quinn, Jr." <barney@ncep.noaa.gov> (Re: [Leica] yesterday's technolgy at retired dentists prices!)