Subject: Re: [Leica] yesterday's technolgy at retired dentists prices!
From: "Barney Quinn, Jr." <barney@ncep.noaa.gov>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 16:27:33 -0400

Brian,

Thank you for an excellent post. I can't match your knowledge of communications
technology, and I'm not even going to try. We're dealing with the age old
debate; "there's nothing new under the sun" versus "everyday a new discovery."
The philosopher and theologian in me loves to get people to say, "humbug"
because I like to get people thinking about their presumptions and prejudices.
Clearly 20th century communications technology is vastly superior, particularly
on a practical functional level, that anything which came before. I have never
written a letter with a Goose quill pen, and I plan never to do so except
perhaps maybe just once to see what it's like. Science, I think, does progress
by building on what came before. Art doesn't. That's what makes them different.
I simply want people to give some thought to the notion that the points at
which the accumulation begins frequently go much further back in history than
one might think.

I enjoy the paradox of all this. My new R8 ( OK, we're on topic now ) is
totally different than Matthew Brady's view camera, and I'm more than grateful
for that. But, in another sense it's identical, or at least quite similar.
Again, I bow your superior knowledge of communications technology. But I would
point out that the ability to use electricity to transmit information from
place to place via a wire is a nineteenth century development. As someone who
spent his first career as a broadcast engineer I would like to nominate Major
Armstrong for your list of important people. I would argue that AM is a very
old idea which certainly pre-dates the 1800's. FM may be based on nineteenth
century calculus, but it is clearly, to me, a twentieth century development.
Isn't this the basis for the first modems? Doesn't that come before quaditure
modulation? These are just ideas I enjoy kicking around. Leonardo, his sketch
books not withstanding, never built a functional jet liner.

I like to argue against myself as much as I do against anyone else. If it's
true that the roots of progress often go surprisingly far back in history, I
think that it's also true that it has taken an astonishingly long time to find
the answers to some questions. AC circuit theory is, I think, an example. DC
has been well understood for a long time. The math required for AC has been
around since at least the middle of the nineteenth century, yet is wasn't until
the first quarter of the twentieth century until individuals such as Charles
Steinmetz finally got the pieces put together. The politics of science never
ceases too both alarm and amaze me. Thomas E. himself seems to have done all he
could think of to keep AC from being placed into commercial use.

Don't get me wrong. I am not anti progress. The fact that I can do Morse code a
25 words a minute doesn't mean that it is my preferred mode of communicating
with people. It simply means that it's something I enjoy doing from time to
time. What I am fighting is this. I react with great vigor to the idea that
people who came before us were intellectually inferior because they lacked our
technology. Quite the contrary. They made a gift to us of the foundation which
has allowed us to have all that we have. It makes me quite crazy when I see
what I presume are "new-age" flavored TV shows which are talking about things
like the Egyptian Pyramids. These shows always seem to argue along these
lines.... The Pyramids are made from stones which weigh 200 tons each. How
could the backward ancients in the desert ever have moved such a rock without a
nice, modern truck. It must be that they had help from extra terrestrials. If
that's what one wants to believe, then fine. But I say that it's only a big
rock. Give me a couple of hundred guys, some truck loads of beer, and tent full
of sex workers, and I'll get the damn rock moved for you.

Enough. Let me close by saying that leaving the wonderful technological
developments which have happened during my life time aside then the history of
the twentieth century scares the living hell out of me. And I think that it
damn well should. What's wonderful about the 20th century is truly grand.
What's black about out times is profoundly disturbing indeed. I try not to be
arrogant about our technology because, in my sadder moments, I think we have
too much else to answer for.

Barney

Replies: Reply from Bob Walkden <bob@web-options.com> (OT: Science, art, progress, humbug (was Re: [Leica] yesterday's technolgy at retired dentists prices!)
Message from Brian Reid <Brian.Reid@cs.cmu.edu> (Re: [Leica] yesterday's technolgy at retired dentists prices!)