Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Anthony' photos
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 21:22:43 +0200

Mark Rabiner writes:

> The sites out there of commercial / fine art
> photography which are not chintzy with the scans
> are out there but few and far between. Are they
> worrying about the slowness of your modem or are
> you going to steal their images do they think?

Both, probably.  Many people still believe that every site must fit on a 640x480
screen and must use "web-safe" colors, even though the vast majority of displays
today are 800x600 with 24-bit color.  A lot of galleries also have all sorts of
trim and decoration that takes up space on the page, instead of just showing the
pictures.  Finally, some sites probably do worry about things being stolen,
although even a large Web image will look pretty dismal on paper.

I especially hate sites where you have to navigate through twenty frames and
click on multiple thumbnails to see each and every image--and then the "big"
image is still something like 400x200, far too small to even clearly show the
composition of the image.

As for download speed, it is true that modems are a limiting factor, but so are
Web sites.  A lot of image galleries are on sites with virtually no bandwidth,
and you end up waiting a loooong time to see anything--far longer than would be
required by modem delays alone.

Overall, this is all very discouraging.  It certainly prevents me from buying
images from sites like this that are trying to sell them.

There is worse, of course ... such as sites that put a visible watermark on
every image, as if their images were so precious and valuable that this extreme
measure is actually justified (at least they do not lack confidence, eh?).

Message from Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net> ([Leica] Re: Anthony' photos)
Message from "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Anthony' photos)
Message from Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: Anthony' photos)
Message from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Anthony' photos)