Subject: RE: [Leica] Heliopan Circular Polarizer Filter
From: "Rodgers, David" <david.rodgers@xo.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 17:10:47 -0500

Tom

I have (or have had) lenses in 30.5,39,43,46,48,49,52,55,58,60,62, 67,
72,77, 82, 10?, Bay 50, Bay 60, Bay I, II, III, Series 6,7 & 8. I try and
keep filter sizes at 49, 55 & 62 and use the step rings. I use 82 and steps
for the larger diameter lenses. I'm tempted to say Leica is the worst when
it comes to lack of a standard filter size, but they're probably no worse
than anyone else. Plus I moved through a few systems before I discovered
Leica.

I'll bet all the step rings and all the shades were the cost of one set of
filters. I've been acquiring step rings for years (The Rollei bays were the
toughest to find).

Some rings are definately better than others. I stick with good rings and
they very rarely get stuck together or on a lens. The secret's in trial and
error.  I've found different types, maybe different alloys. Finding rings is
the only reason I used to attend swap meets. If I bought rings that stuck, I
tossed them. I can almost tell a good ring by feel now.

I'm not so careful about shades. I've found the inexpensive shades work
fine. I test any combination before I use it in the field.

When I swap lenses in my bag I don't have to worry about swapping filters. I
normally carry polarizers, reds and  yellow/greens. A better solution might
be to sell the older lenses and buy new, all with the same filter size.
Nice, but not in the cards right now.

It's great that you could get the Leica filter. That's the ideal solution. I
just bought 46mm filters. They fit my 35/1.4 and 90/2.8. I use those a lot.
Cost of filters can really add up in a hurry. Especially the good ones.

I only have two step down rings. I know people who rely quite heavily on
step downs. It's surprising how much lattitude there is. I don't think
vignetting is a huge problem. I've used some pretty agressive shades. I only
find it's tricky in two areas; wider zooms -- which I don't own -- and view
camera lenses. It's inherently difficult to quantify the latter. you really
can't test. Sometimes you don't notice it until you see the developed film.

Dave