Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 .56 viewfinder and wide-angle lenses
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2001 19:26:40 -0700 (PDT)

Mark E Davison wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, why not put a diopter adapter on a .72 M6 and
then shoot
> without glasses?  Wouldn't that be easier?

I've tried that with another camera with an adjustable diopter. The
answer is that it slows you down enormously. First you see what you
want to shoot (with glasses on.) Then you have to take your glasses off
to raise the camera to your eyes, focus and shoot. Okay for landscapes,
but hopeless for street shooting, or candid family photographs.

Being short-sighted, I find the same thing. Although my R8 can give
sufficient correction at -2 dioptres for my unaided eye, I find it more
convenient and a lot quicker to keep my glasses on all the time. It's
good that the R8's high eye-point viewfinder enables me to see all of
the focusing screen and viewfinder displays with ease with my glasses
on.

Problem is, they have variable focus lenses (a bit like bifocals), so
the positioning of the specs lens against the viewfinder is rather
critical for me to be able to see clearly. I hate the things anyway, so
I'll have to get some plain old "distance" glasses.

Regards,

=====
Ray