Subject: Re: [Leica] on web design packages
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 10:12:37 +0200

Brian Reid writes:

> It is rare to find a hand-made file that follows
> the rules and works properly on all browsers. For
> examples, Anthony's exquisite handmade web pages
> are almost unviewable in Netscape 4.76 on my Windows
> 98 PC, but look fine in MSIE.

I made a deliberate decision to stop supporting the old 4.x versions of Netscape
last year.

Netscape 4.x contains literally thousands of bugs--so many, in fact, that you
can either create a page that validates as perfect HTML and CSS, or you can
create a page that looks okay on Netscape 4.x--but you can't do both.  Tweaking
the page to make it work on Netscape 4.x prevents it from validating as standard
HTML, and conforming the page to make it standard HTML prevents it from
displaying correctly on Netscape 4.x ... because of all the bugs that browser
contains.

I noticed last year that less than two percent of visitors to my site are still
using any version of Netscape.  This fact, plus the fact that an enormous amount
of work must be put into each page to get it to work with Netscape, and that
doing so usually prevents the HTML and CSS from validating thereafter _and_
causes the page to display incorrectly in every other browser, made me decide to
stop supporting Netscape 4.x entirely.

The latest version of Netscape, version 6.x, displays my pages correctly, except
for one or two bugs left over from previous versions of Netscape that have not
been corrected (or have been left in to ensure compatibility?).  All recent
versions of Opera display the pages correctly.  All recent versions of MSIE
display the pages correctly.  Even Lynx (a text-only browser) handles the pages
correctly.  And the pages validate without errors for both HTML and CSS.

The problem, then, is in the old Netscape 4.x browser, and since almost nobody
still uses Netscape browsers, it is not cost-effective to write pages
specifically to accommodate bugs in Netscape.

As for the use of software generators, of all the portals I visited just now,
only Adobe's appeared to have been written with any kind of generator (GoLive,
not surprisingly).  All the others (AOL, Netscape, CNN, Microsoft, Yahoo, and
others) contain hand-written HTML.  Small sites with a homogenous user base and
limited development resources can justify the use of generators to speed
development, but high-volume sites with a very heterogenous user base need to
write HTML by hand, or at least rework whatever HTML is produced by generators.

Replies: Reply from "Jim" <jimlong@inwave.com> ([Leica] WTB IIIC)
Message from Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us> (Re: [Leica] on web design packages)