Subject: Re: [Leica] Neopan 1600 first attempt
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 13:49:50 -0700

George Lottermoser wrote:

> john@pinkheadedbug.com (Johnny Deadman)7/6/013:17 PM
>
> > I'm with Mark. Developer of choice for me is Xtol 1:2 or 1:3.
> Good shadow
> > detail @ 1600
>
> Just as with the Neopan, I hear you all raving about xtol, and
> I'm tempted to try it. But I'm just so tired of "trying"
> everything and really want to lock down and just photograph. And
> I feel like I'm just about there with DDX and the Ilford films. I
> also have gotten spoiled with liquid developers, after decades of
> mixing from scratch. Which brings up another question: Does
> anyone have the recipe for the the renowned xtol? I'm sure I've
> got all the ingredients.
>
> George

This is from the Patent from the patent office website:
I get there are easily ways to go about it than all this stuff.
I'm going to just come of with my own C76 myself.
I'm going to go with Metol instead of Phenidone. A lot of this extra stuff is
just so it keeps.
But from the MSDS for Xtol this is pretty close to the commercial
product.
Dry Formulation
Part A
Sodium Sulfite 10.0 grams
EDTA penta sodium salt 1.0 gram
Sodium metaborate (8 mol)8.0 grams
4-Hydroxymethyl-4 methyl-1-
phenyul-3-purazolidone
(Kodak Dimezone)0.2 gram
Part B
Sodium Sulfite 75.0 grams
Sodium metabisulfite 3.5 grams
Sodium Isoastorbate 12.0 grams
Ingredients in Part A to be dissolved in 850.0 ml of water at room
temperature.When dissolved dissolve Part B in add water up to 1.0
liter

Mark Rabiner