Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 w/.58 finder: my experience
From: shooter@linux-info.net
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2001 12:07:03 -0400

On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 03:45:34PM +1000, Griffith, Lucian wrote:
> Thanks - that makes sense.  I guess the other reason for a slight wariness
> of the .58 finder is using it in low light with, say, a 50mm with aperture
> wide open, where focus is obviously critical...  It's hard enough to focus
> in dim lighting as it is with the .72, let alone with a .58.  Then after a
> pint or two, the focussing - for reasons inexplicable - just gets even
> harder. ;)  (The pub is a favourite place to mix work and pleasure).
> cheers,
> Lucian G.

I am new to Leica as of a fedw months ago.  I waited for a Lecia Day at my local dealer simply because I wanted to compare the three different view finders.  Because I normally shoot with a 35mm and wear classes, I opted for the .58.  Other then playing with the .72 and .85 in the store, my only real experence is with the .58...

I love the finder.  I will be the first one to admit that with longer lenses the .85 would be nice, but..  I do own a 90 Summicron.  I have been very successful in shooting with the lens wide open in low light at close range.  True that the .72 or better .85 would make life easier, but focus can must diffinitly be achieved with the .58.

One more note...  Using a DOF calc the NOCTLUX has MORE depth of field wide open then the 90 Summicron.  The 135 Elmar had the smallest depth of field.

Shooter

Replies: Reply from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] M6 w/.58 finder: my experience)