Subject: [Leica] Motor M experience
From: Pierre Charbonneau <charbonneaup@videotron.ca>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 10:26:46 -0400

I have been using the new motor M on my M6 TTL and also on my old
"Leitz" M6 for about a month now. Here it goes.

The size and weight are great. It adds up but it still feels correct for
the M camera. The grip is much improved especially when I am using the
old fat 90 Summicron.  But he real beauty is being able to keep the eye
in the finder without the effect of torque
generated by the manual advance. The finder is then more stable between
the frames. I can evaluate how the subject of the
photograph evolve and trip the shutter with serenity as the film advance
to the next frame.

I have been using the two speeds without much concern. The slowest is
indeed quieter, especially for the photographer
himself. I have noticed that the subjects do not notice it much, even at
few feet's away. But the big difference lies in the fact that the
subject do perceive the photographer with much less agitation as he
doesn't wind the film manually anymore: The
photographer with the motorised camera doesn't sound quieter, but he
does look quieter!

I have been trough 80 rolls since with the same pair of batteries. The
finish seems pretty robust, not rough and tough like the Abrahmsonn
Rapid Winder, but adequate. My concern is about the battery cover which
may be somewhat more delicate, but it remains to be seen.

Overall, it is an excellent device. My old Rapid winder has been put to
rest, finally. The Motor M is much better and the first accessory in a
long time in the Leica catalogue that is very relevant (besides the
lenses, of course!)

Pierre Charbonneau