Subject: [Leica] Motor M
From: Pierre Charbonneau <charbonneaup@videotron.ca>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2001 10:19:03 -0400

I can't help noticing that when a Leica user has a bad experience with a
new product form Solms, there are always some comments on the LUG
implying about how Leica should be ashamed to propose a modern accessory
on a venerable design such as the classic Leica M. Hey, the camera has
the very best manual film advance in the world, doesn't?

About the new Motor M, which I used since few months without any
problems and which has replaced my old Tom's rapid winder, I must stress
how different are the two beasts. Yes, the two of them do advance the
film to next frame. Yes, the two of them attach to the bottom of the
camera. But the similarities do end about there.

I have one the very first Rapid Winder, serial No A- 077. I remember
that when I bought it in 1989 or early 1990, I had to send it back to
Reinhold Mueller for an adjustment; indeed, the coupling between the
device and the camera was somewhat temperamental...... Being not perfect
right from the box is not a Leica monopoly..... But after this quick
repair, the winder still works very well so far! But still, I was not
very happy about the comfort of it. The lever on this early sample has
very sharp edges and is doesn't provide a nice touch to the camera. I
have asked Mr. Abrahamsonn about having this lever changed to the newer
model with softer edges but it is not possible due to the older design.
This lever, in the extended position become a threat to other things and
can scratch a other body or lens that would be carried to close to it.

Then arrives the Leica Motor M. It is not much louder than the rapid
winder (which is not silent!) But it has quietness; you do not fiddle
with it; you just press the button and zip: you are ready for next
frame. Now, that is comfort! I remember that when I encounter the new
Hexar, how I was thrilled mostly by the automatic film advance. It
become a  breeze to squeeze frames when shooting people and still
keeping the eye on the finder without the torque generated by the manual
film advance.

I use the Motor M with 2 samples of M6, one old "Leitz" and one brand
new TTL without problems. There is no visible unevenness of exposure
with either speeds. I presume an adjustment by the distributor for the
specific camera/motor is requested. And this inconvenience will be
quickly forgotten after rolls of fun shooting.

Pierre Charbonneau