Subject: RE: [Leica] [leica] re: what put you over the top?
From: "Rodgers, David" <david.rodgers@xo.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 15:18:37 -0500

Rich,

>>Digital is nailing Polaroid for the count.  Those cheap digital cameras
fill a market that Polaroid counted on for film sales.  I recall as a frosh
at RIT,
Polaroid practically gave the class their 4x5 back.  Bankrupcy?  Like....<<

Polaroid owned the instant film market. Remember when they fought Kodak and
won a number of years back, after Kodak introduced and instant film camera.
Now the competition is coming from an entirely new direction. Though it
hasn't been overnight.

What's next? I think we all see some writing on the wall. Film sales may
decline at some point. The real question is how much, and what will it
impact? Film won't dissappear. But fewer choices? Maybe. OTOH maybe sales
will grow. Even the business world has to make some assumptions. Mistakes
can be costly.

I don't think we've seen anything yet like we'll see in the future on the
Internet. There's another wave coming. Digital imaging will be very, very
big. Digital video too. Five years ago I couldn't send an image to someone
if my life depended on it. Not that I was technically illiterate. I just
couldn't afford it, or it wasn't practical. Today it's as cheap and easy as
sneezing. What about 5-years from now. Fasten seatbelts and enjoy the ride.
I'm digital. But I'm also Leica.

Dave

Replies: Reply from "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com> (Re: [Leica] [leica] re: what put you over the top?)