Subject: Re: [Leica] have a beer, everyone
From: "ML" <lenonm@milwaukee.tec.wi.us>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 00:39:06 -0500

Tina wrote:
> I've ordered a Mosquito Magnet which is supposed to attract them by
> simulating human breath, suck them into a bag, and asphyxiate them.  I
hope
> it works.  I'll photograph the carcasses with the 60 Macro.  Then I'll
> throw something on the BBQ, kick back, cool off and watch the lawn
sprinkler.

If the Mosquito Magnet fails to work satisfactorily and your problem is
persistent and severe, you might wish to consider... bats.

Bats?

Not baseball bats. The little, furry mammals-with-wings kind of bats.

BATS?!   [Spoken with rising pitch and volume. ;-) ]

Yes. Honestly. :-) Apparently, these critters devour mosquitoes at an
alarming rate. In one evening a single bat can eat tens of thousands of
mosquitoes, as I recall. I'm not sure how accurate that number is, and
I question how the count was done, but a handful of bats could be very
helpful.

Call your local birding supply stores and inquire about buying a bat
house. (No, no one will snicker at you; they really do sell bat houses
at bird stores. Maybe you have a Wild Birds Unlimited store in your
vicinity?)

Bats, although somewhat disturbing to gaze upon, with a face only a
mother could love, are supposed to be very pleasant little critters,
very sociable and not aggressive --- unless you're a mosquito.

Marie keeps talking about getting a bat house to add to our backyard
along with all the bird feeders and bird houses, but we haven't gotten
one
yet. If you should try this, drop us an email and let us know how it
worked on the mosquitoes.

Bruce (who's really not kidding, and happy to be able to contribute
something. :-)