Subject: [Leica] Re: 1/15
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 13:27:23 -0700

At 11:20 AM -0400 7/15/01, Henry Posner/B&H Photo-Video wrote:
>At 05:16 PM 07/13/2001, you wrote:
>>They also give some people vertigo and motion sickness. They are a
>>significant step forward though.
>
>The Nikon VR lens has a switch which enables to user to have VR for
>film but not in the finder specifically to alleviate this situation.
>The Canon IS lenses do not yet offer this option.

After using two of the IS lenses for a couple of years, I find it
quite helpful to see to what degree I can steady the lens before I
take the shot. Turning the stabilisation off in the finder doesn't
seem a useful feature to me.

As I've mentioned before, I find stabilisation to be one of the most
significant and useful innovations in camera technology in years.
Moreso than AF, for instance. I find I can hold a 400 steady enough
with IS at 1/15sec to get the same quality of shots I was used to
getting at 1/125 before. It's almost as useful as a Kenlab stailiser,
and a lot cheaper (and lighter). True, it can't replace a high speed
lens when subject motion is the problem, but it does work otherwise.
With the lenses with switchable horizontal stabilisation, it also
makes panning  a breeze.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design