Subject: [Leica] Re: Motor M experience
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 22:23:11 -0700

At 2:40 PM +1000 7/11/01, Andrew Nemeth wrote:
>Pierre Charbonneau <charbonneaup@videotron.ca> wrote:
>
>>  [Compact M Motor - notes and (+ve) impressions]
>
>I've been using the motor too since March and I generally agree,
>it is a must-have for M shooters.
>
>I have found though that it is better used as an auto-winder
>than as a motordrive to shoot a sequence of shots.
>
>The problem with shooting sequences is that the motor jerks
>quite a lot after each shot (due to the mechanical linkage).
>So you can forget about shooting sequences at speeds slower
>than 1/250th.
>
>Then to add insult to injury, I have just discovered that if
>you set the speed setting to "quiet" and shoot a sequence of
>shots at 1/125th (ie you press the shutter down and keep your
>finger on it), then all the shots after #1 will be ruined due
>to "smearing" of the LHS of the frame.  What appears to happen
>is that the M shutter front curtain starts to travel _before_
>the film has come fully to rest.
>
>I have tested this on both recently CLA'd M6 (TTL 0.85) and M4-P -
>the problem exists with both cameras.
>
>Needless to say, this is very annoying.
>
>But using the motor as a winder is a dream.  Take the shot.  Zip.
>Wait a second, take another.  Zip.  Painless and relatively quiet
>too (especially for a guy who can remember what the Nikon MD-1
>sounded like!...)

A new Hexar body is $1100. Comes with motor that doesn't cause
smearing or unpleasant torqueing. Also has a 1/4000sec shutter.

Also, I've now heard from many Hexar users that don't seem to have
any issues with apparent flange focus distance. Are there any Hexar
owners that do have problems?

My f/1.4 and f/1 lenses, which are the ones that should show the
problem, don't. My success rate with the Noctilux and 75/1.4 is about
the same with the Hexar as with the .85. Only the 90/2 and 135/4
seems better off with the Leicas, .72 or .85.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com