Subject: Re: [Leica] 1st Time Handling an M6
From: Dave Jenkins <djphoto@vol.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 21:38:46 -0400

Pete Su wrote:

The newer Nikon bodies do this too. But it only works best with a
limited set
of lenses.

With my older Nikon, I find I use the AF to get close, then switch to
manual,
and shoot. It's not as fast as the Canon way, but it's good enough for
me. I
find that it's impossible for me to judge focus in Canon viewfinders
anyway, so
I may as well stick with the Nikon bodies that I like. As always, YMMV.

In the early 90s, when it became apparent that I needed to switch to
autofocus, I began buying Nikon AF equipment. My reasoning was that the
photographer with whom I shared studio space had a full set of Nikon
equipment, so I could borrow lenses from him until I sold off my Olympus
outfit (four bodies, 13 lenses, and numerous accessories) and bought a
full set of Nikon equipment of my own.

I'm sure Nikon's AF is much improved by now, but my 8008s and 6006
hunted for focus like a pack of hound dogs. My first Canons (an RT and a
10s) locked on focus like pit bulls. Plus, with CF4, which works with
*all* Canon lenses,  I no longer had to do the focus-recompose dance for
every shot. I ditched the Nikons and have never looked back.

Dave Jenkins