Subject: Re: [Leica] 1st Time Handling an M6
From: "Ethel Red" <ethel_red@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 20:00:02 -0400

>From: "B. D. Colen" >
> >
> > PJW wrote:
> >
> > It sounds like you're using an auto-focus camera to replicate what you
> > do
> > with a manual focus camera. Which begs the question: Why have an
> > auto-focus
> > camera?
>
>And the obvious answer is...
>
>Because there are times when auto focus is very handy to have....And,
>while some folks on this list insist autofocus doesn't work
>reliably/consistently enough, other folks find that it does...There are
>times and places for manual focus and all mechanical camers, and times
>and places for electronic whizbangs..
>
>B. D.

But that wasn't my point. It seemed to me that the original poster wasn't
using the auto-focus camera *AS* an auto-focus camera. I've never used a
motorized auto-exposure auto-focus plastic fantastic myself, ;-) but it
seems to me that it would only be useful if you could simply frame the image
and push the shutter release.

If you have to take the time to position an auto-focus sensor on the point
you want in focus, and then push a button, then frame the image and push a
different button to fire this technological Rube Goldberg contraption, you
might just as well use a manual focus camera.

The obvious exception would be the photographer with failing eyesight.

PJW